Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Any sound advise on how to deal with coworkers (women,of course)who habitually gossips at work?

How do I OBJECTIVELY approach vicious under-educated women from gossiping at work. These women are unashamed to open and tell their uninteresting neighbor's, co-workers and their very own personal home-life.


How do I tell them that the workplace is not the right place for all their dramas and low-life stories? It just keeps going on and on.


Serious replies only. I appreciate all the help I can get thanks.Any sound advise on how to deal with coworkers (women,of course)who habitually gossips at work?
Shears, all you can do is be uninterested in their story's or keep the topic work related. If you call them out you may wind up being the target of the work place gossip. Be careful not to burn any bridges at work it could cost you your job,hope this has helped.Any sound advise on how to deal with coworkers (women,of course)who habitually gossips at work?
Ask them if they LIKE anything about these people, that usually gets their wheels turning that they have been saying negative, awful things. Also tell them that you choose to keep a positive outlook on people and wouldn't want to start thinking bad about someone.
just tell them you don't want to hear it. cut them off or change the subject when they start. you won't be able to completely put an end to it at work, but at least you won't be a part of it.
Just tell them that it offends you. That's about all you can do. If they continue, report them.
You know what I finally had to do with two of the woman I worked with is this.





Every time they gossiped about a co-worker I waited until that gossiper and the one they were gossiping about were in the same room with me. And then I would say something like ';Oh hey, Sarah was just telling me that your son got busted for pot last weekend, I'm so sorry to hear that. Let me know if I can help you with anything';





Of course this left Sarah with her mouth hanging open looking stupid and also pointed out that she was not the right person to confide in.





Then when Sarah would ask why I did that, I would say well you never said it was a secret and I figured if you were talking about it to me then it was common knowledge.





Soon enough Sarah and her other little gossip buddy got the picture.





As for hearing people talk about their own lives or telling stories about people I don't work with. Well, I really don't care. After all, people that work together rarely have anything other than work in common, so they have to have something to talk about. If I don't have time to listen or care to listen I just excuse myself from the room or conversation.











L

No comments:

Post a Comment