Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My 4 year old goes crazy when bet time is mentioned. I follow a strict routine, any other advise?

Every time I mentioned bed time he starts laughing and jumping and completelly opposes to the idea. I follow the exact same routine every time and after brushing teeth he goes nuts. I would appreciate any advise.


Thanks!My 4 year old goes crazy when bet time is mentioned. I follow a strict routine, any other advise?
Just keep doing what your doing and sticking to the routine. Is he not laying down and following the rules? Or is he just going Crazy right before he lays down?





Good luck!My 4 year old goes crazy when bet time is mentioned. I follow a strict routine, any other advise?
I have read a few articles and books to get some ideas on this. Some of my favourite suggestions are: Do a silly walk around the house, play follow the leader and let him choose the path to bed. Let him show you how clever he is at dressing himself, boys love competition. I am a big fan of stories and hugs before bed. It gives them a prize for getting ready for bed. But be firm if he doesn't get ready he misses out on a story. And perhaps start bedtime 1/2 an hour earlier he may be overtired. My husband some times does a super duper tuck in, which is tucking the blankets all around their body and then warming them up by quickly rubbing all over the blanket on their body, it gets them giggling and we get to walk away with 2 kids with big smiles on their faces. They also listen to relaxing music every night, it helps them unwind from a big day, my eldest is now 5, and will request her favourite. All these work for me, I hope they help you. But I will say it doesn't work every night as children do continue to test the boundaries, and will always need that one more drink or last min run to the toilet, but 5-6 out of 7 aren't bad.
Maybe stop mentioning ';bed time'; and instead inforce ';quiet time';... My son would SCREAM bloody murder when I said ';its time for bed';... it got so bad that I would have to step outside. I learned quickly to not make it into an issue.. I'd help him brush his teeth and then say ';why dont you pick out a story for us to read'; and he would and then we'd read it in bed ';cause its more comfy there'; and then i'd tell him I love him very much and he would whine a little... but it was less and less everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment