Thursday, July 29, 2010

Ladies can you advise me on something related to knitting and crocheting?

I am gonna be looking for either a manufacturer or persons to make hats to fit a line I want to make. Now I am planing to use a natural material but unaware of what will work and allow some stretch. next up is there some really nice ways or more so unique ways to knit or crochet? Even if it is hard and expensive, the look is gonna count more. The hat style is gonna be like large kippah aka skullcap.





Thanks for any and all help.Ladies can you advise me on something related to knitting and crocheting?
My specialty is hats.


Here are a couple sites I use to find good patterns.


http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/dir鈥?/a>


http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/di鈥?/a>





If you have more information feel free to e-mail me. I would definitely be interested in helping you out.Ladies can you advise me on something related to knitting and crocheting?
I would stay away from synthetics for the main fiber, some has good stretch but poor 'memory' so it doesn't bounce back quickly--some has so much memory that it has little to no stretch at all...wool is always really nice fiber, and with the new blends out there you can have a plethera of textures.





There are also new fibers like corn, shell, bamboo which you could use too. Take a look at some of the free sock patterns online--check out what fiber they use, those are great stretchy yarns with a good memory.





Before you start selling hats you will of course like to make several versions of each hat in a differing yarn/color/embellishment/etc. so the supplier can see their versitality.





I would start in a smaller end market too in a local millinery shop...this way you can gauge what sells and what doesn't without having to make a massive amount of hats at once. You can make 3 or 4 of a single style...it will even get your name out into the industry ahead of your product and can help build your reputation.
I would recommend surfing Etsy to see what's already being made out there.
I would suggest that you crochet some prototypes of hats that you want in your line with a variety of fibers to find the perfect stretch you are looking for. What works for me may not work for you. http://www.youtube.com/tjw1963
Cotton- very little stretch. But wool is a natural fiber that stretches. You can also use a natural fiber like cotton and have spandex twisted into it.
Chances are that some kind of wool will be your fiber of choice, but wool can be itchy for many heads--especially those that are balding. You may also want to experiment with a lining, which will not only keep itchiness at bay, but could also add just the right amount of give and shaping.
Hi I crochet hats for the homeless and love the patterns at Croshay Design. Laurie is a very good designer and her hat patterns are very up-to-date. As for the material you will need something that stretches or gives so the people who make the hats will not have a hard time getting the hook or needles to go back and forth through the material. There are all types of stitches that can be used to crochet hats but the material needs to give a little so that it can stretch over the head. You do not want your product to give the wearer a headache. I wish you the best of luck in your endevor.


Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment