Wednesday, July 28, 2010

What advise would you give a person that was just entering college?

What advise would you give a person that was just entering college? What would it take to make the grade? Moreover, complete your education?What advise would you give a person that was just entering college?
Don't get caught up with people of the opposite sex your first couple of years.





Hands down this is the reason why most people drop out of school.





Get your books and then later on in your years (senior is good), look into someone, by building friendships first.





Think of it like this. You get into your first year. You start getting involved with someone, your grades start declining ... which goes first? The relationship or the grades? To some people the relationship is more important. They start going and spending more time with this person, buying cars, getting jobs, and before you know it - you're dropping out to support children.





My advice?





Go join an intramural sport, a club of some sort, go to parties MODERATELY (mingle, drink - because everyone knows you're going to anyway even though you're underage, but don't get any DUI's!), and ENJOY college! Because like high school, you can never go back and enjoy it like you did when you were that age. Have you ever seen those movies where there is some 30-something guy hanging out with a bunch of frat kids and drinking like he's their age. Yea ... not quite a good sight.





Yet, the most important thing is to find out what you want to do! If you're in Chemistry, make time to go and see what chemists do! Research the types of companies and jobs that are in your field and GO VISIT THEM! There are plenty of firms that will let younger people come in and sit down with an employee for an hour or so and let you see what they do. This is SO IMPORTANT! There is nothing like graduating with a major just because you thought it would be fun and find out that you hate the actual jobs! Don't be that person who graduates, works for 15 years and then finds out that had they actually known, boring jobs, low pay, glass ceilings, your personality doesn't fit the types of positions (like a reclusive person doing sales), they would have jumped ship a long time.What advise would you give a person that was just entering college?
beware!!!!
study hard and try to score a scholarship...Classic one
This report might be of help. Its very long, so I have attached the link to the page.





It's never too early to think about college -- about the benefits of a college education and about ways to put college within reach academically and financially.





Throughout their school years, students make academic and other decisions that affect whether they will be eligible to enter college. You -- working with others -- can help your child make these decisions wisely.





This resource book is designed to help you with that process. It will help you work with your child and with your child's teachers and guidance counselors, to ensure that he or she has the option of going to college.





It will help your child to prepare academically for the rigors of college, and it will help you to plan financially for the costs of a college education. A good academic record on your child's part and sound financial planning on your part will help ensure a menu of opportunities when the time comes to decide about college. Although this book was written primarily as a long-term planning guide for parents, guidance counselors and teachers will also find it useful and informative.














This book will help you to














-- Set high expectations for your child's future;











-- Know what college options are available;











-- Plan your finances with college in mind; and











-- Know what financial assistance your child may be eligible to receive.











To ensure that today's students will be able to live, work, and compete in the 21st century, the U.S. Department of Education and the Nation's governors set a direction for the Nation by establishing six national education goals. In brief, the goals state that by the year 2000











* All children in America will start school ready to learn;





* The high school graduation rate will improve to at least 90 percent;











* All children will be competent in at least English, mathematics, science, history, and geography;





* American students will be first in the world in science and mathematics;











* Adult Americans will be literate and have the skills necessary to compete in a world economy;





* And every school in America will be free of drugs and violence.











As we turn from a ';Nation at Risk'; to a ';Nation on the Move'; we must assure that our children and youth are prepared to meet the challenge of the world economy, the obligation of civic responsibility, and the responsibility of attaining the national education goals.











Attaining the national education goals depends greatly on the efforts of the entire community, but especially you, the parents of our children. In helping your child succeed in high school and aim for college, you're also helping our Nation produce informed citizens and a competitive work force for the next decade and beyond.











Richard W. Riley U.S. Secretary of Education














PREPARING YOUR CHILD FOR COLLEGE














I. General Questions About College











Why attend college? What types of colleges exist? What kinds of jobs are available to college graduates?











II. Preparing for College











What can my child do to prepare academically for college? What can my child do outside the classroom to prepare for college?











III. Choosing a College











How can my child go about choosing a college?











IV. Financing a College Education











How much does a college education cost? How can I afford to send my child to college? What are the most common sources of financial aid? Is my child eligible for financial aid? If so, how much ? Are there other ways to keep the cost of college down?











V. Long-Range Planning











How do I set up a long-range plan?











VI. Important Terms











What terms do I need to understand?











VII. Other Sources of Information











Where can I get more information on the topics discussed in this handbook?











Exercises and Checklists for You and Your Child








Help Your Child Think About a Career Course Planner for Parent and Student College Inquiries College Preparation Checklist for Students Financial Preparation Checklist for Parents





http://free-toddlers-activity-and-discip鈥?/a>
Get your alcohol tolerance up, you will regret it otherwise...
go into the armed services first
advice:donot change yourself,especially according to those on going silly trends.chill.
I know everyone keeps telling you that you need to go to college, get a degree, etc., etc. in order to compete in the job market; from personal experience (I'm 36), I have to disagree. My first and most important question is ';what do you expect to get out of your college experience?'; A college degree doesn't mean you will automatically land a job in your field, land a job ';making the big bucks,'; or, even guarantee you will find any work. I don't want to tell you not to go to college or scare you away from the possibility,but I will tell you from experience that college first may not be worth it from everybody, that a college degree doesn't mean you are going to be better off economically, etc. and I will cite numerous personal examples to prove my point(s). Believing the media, I went to college, got my BA in (Parks and Recreation)Management, studied dilligently and graduated with, I believe, the highest gpa (3.72) of anyone in my class pursuing the same major. After graduating, I looked (and looked and looked) for a position that matched my college degree for over a year with no luck. Keep in mind that when I graduated (class of '91), the economy was in a bit of a recession and that certain job sectors were very tight- especially in my home state of Michigan (they're that way right now too in Michigan due to problems with the Big Three automakers). After months of looking for work, first in my ';field'; and then just for work in general, the only job I could find was a menial factory job; and the only reason I got my foot in the door with this company was because my brother happened to be working in the office for this company (my older brother was also a college graduate with a degree in advertising/marketing and his position with this company was in no way related to his degree/major either; his degree hadn't helped him land that job). Meanwhile, many of the people I went to school with that pursued the same major as me had much more success finding jobs in this profession despite their very mediocre grades (which really upset me) because they either had ';connections'; or had greater work experience more closely related to this career path; keep in mind a one-year (unpaid) internship in this field was also required to complete this major.


Anyway, after working in the factory of this printing company for a couple years, I was promoted to an office job. The company didn't promote me because of my degree or college experience, but, rather because they had come to respect my work ethic, intelligence, etc. I worked a few more years for this company before going to another (printing) company for an even better job- and was also promoted a couple more times within this company. This new company also didn't care anything about my college degree; at first they saw I had actual relevant work experience to the position they needed to fill and then any future promotion was based on my proven ability within the company. I also have to mention that most of my co-workers in the offices of both of these companies had never gone to or graduated from college either.


When I first met my current lady friend many years after graduating from college, she was making about twice as much money as I was at the time. She was 8 years younger and had never been to college. Straight out of high school she was able to land a job as an administrative assistant for a real estate company because they were only interested in her ability to do the job and they didn't care one bit about her education- or lack of a degree. Her sister did go to college and after MANY years of going to school did land a decent paying job in her field- on the other hand the sister owes quite a bit in student loans and the decent job was also largely due to the fact she was working for this same organization while going to school.


Furthermore, while I was going to school, 2 of my buddies started working for a local grocery chain. They started at the bottom as baggers, then went on to become cashiers, and pretty much by the time I was finishing college, they were already on their ways to management positions within the company. Both these guys eventually found very well paying jobs as store managers (or better) without ever having gone to college. In addition, one of my college roommates also ended up working for this same company after graduating (different school, different major) and then attempted to basically follow the same career path as my other two friends- he was just 5 years behind on advancement, pay raises, etc. while he paid good money to get his degree.


Probably my two closest friends are a pair of brothers- one my age and the other slightly younger. The older brother and I went to college and high school together. The older brother was very interested in sports journalism in high school, he worked for the school paper, and, was routinely recognized for his excellent articles by the state high school journalism boards; this brother also worked hard and got pretty decent grades in high school. This brother also pursued a degree in journalism, worked for the college paper, and, maintained good grades. The younger brother, on the other hand, made much less effort during high school (although he was/is probably as intelligent as his older brother) and then only went a few semesters to a community college before dropping out because he thought college was a waste of his time- and money. Well since then, the older brother has worked for 5 or 6 different newspapers and has never made ';big bucks.'; The younger brother, on the other hand, started working doing menial labor for a landscaping company and now makes about twice as much money as his degreed, older brother does since he is now the foreman for this landscaping company. I do have to admit that the third brother, probably the least intelligent of the three, did go to business school and landed a good job- of course he got his foot in the door through connections with his father.


Back to my story now. While I was going to college, I worked part-time doing the pizza delivery thing for a major Michigan-based company. The store managers and some of their bosses kept trying to convince me to leave school and come enter their management trainee program. Basically, I laughed off their suggestions saying the job was just a temporary part-time job until I finished school and pursued a ';real'; career. Anyway, I've been unemployed for some time (really long story) and, again, my degree hasn't helped me one bit. The interviews I have had have been a result of my work experience and not my degree. The funniest thing is the job I am most interested in landing is working as a driver for a (different) pizza chain that provides a ';fast track'; into their mangement program.


Again, I'm not trying to convince you that college is useless. If you plan on going into law, medicine, teaching, etc. you absolutely will need and benefit greatly by going to college and pursuing your degree(s). On the other hand, don't think a degree is an automatic ticket to a well paying job or career. If you honestly aren't sure what you want to do with your life, don't see how a college education will benefit you, etc, I will argue, despite the myths that the media and the colleges that benefit from your money keep trying to perpetuate say, you should NOT waste your time and money being there if you cannot fully see the benefit and/or fully commit yourself to the experience.


There are many benefits of NOT going to college. To begin with, there is much to gain from actual work experience in lieu of a degree. As an employer, would you chose someone with 4-5 years of actual work experience, possibly within your organization or possibly relating very closely to the position needing to be filled, or, would you chose a candidate with a degree and less experience that you know nothing about, their job performance, work ethic, etc.? If you are working and then find yourself ';stuck'; in your career path where only a degree will then allow you to advance, you can always to go to school later. From all my personal experiences, experiences of everyone I know, and, by further sources (I posed that very question on Answers as to whether work experience or degree carried more weight and work experience won hands down), I can only argue that actual work experience carries every bit as much weight, probably more, than a degree in many instances. Furthermore, think about the (ever increasing) costs associated with getting a degree. I personally know that if I had taken the amount of money I (mis)spent on my degree, I could have either made a very significant down payment on a home, or, invested it very conservatively and have done quite well on my returns; not to mention the fact that I would be earning money while working instead of spending money in school. If you are planning on going to school to pursue your degree, I do have a few bits of advice that are probably as unconventional as my questioning the merits of a college education itself; I'm sure everyone will think I'm nuts on all counts. In order to best ';complete'; your college education, I will argue that your grades/gpa isn't too important. You will be better off ';networking'; with people that can help you in the field/profession you are hoping to pursue in many cases than trying to get straight A's. Furthermore, just as I argue actual work experience is at least as important as your degree, getting as much work experience that relates to your desired profession is absolutely critical. Whether you go pursue your degree or not, I hope you learn from my examples; I know most people will say I'm insane but I guess you need to decide for yourself what's the best thing for you.
The best thing you can do to have an enjoyable and successful college experience is to just be yourself, study hard , and open your self to new experiences with out loosing sight of your goals. That worked for me and my brother. He left with a 3.2 GPA and a degree and I left with a 3.9 and new horizons.
Put your education before your partying. Study and don't party so much. Have fun and enjoy your college experience, but don't take it for granted. Go to class and study!!!
just be yourself. try not to get into trouble,(no violence, no drugs, no alchohol ect...) and just turn the assignments completed and on time.


1. examine the assignment


2. try your hardest and do it


3. scam through it to see if its completed along with looking over the directions and make sure you did them


4. kiss your assignment and A+ and turr it in...








that should work. im in 6th grade so, ...... yah.

No comments:

Post a Comment