Thursday, July 29, 2010

What is the best positive advise regarding college selection,prep.,and/or college experience?

I want your opinions and wisdom... just answer the question above... I also have two more


What is you best advise regarding a profession or career.


and


what is your best advise regarding personal achievements outside college and careers?What is the best positive advise regarding college selection,prep.,and/or college experience?
I would recommend reading the occupational outlook or it may be called the occupational forecast. it lists all occupations and projected job openings, job growth, along with educational requirements., average starting salaries, etc...





What are your interests? what do you like to do ? what type of environment are you used to? some schools are known for certain areas of study. what makes you happy? Study something that you enjoy, but be sure that it willbe applicable in todays workforce....





I would definitely visit some local universities just to get a feel for the size and type of environment. you could easily get lost in a large state university , a class sized of 500 , yes one class, intro to Psy, all together on a lecture hall, Would you feel comfortable?





Also, any work or volunteer experience is an asset in the eyes of college admissions.





Perhaps consider volunteering some where that you think you'd like to work Everyone can use free help, and your experiences will be a good subject to write about in your admissions essay.





Also, take a look at the employment websites, monster, etc. where are the openings?. don't major in something that will be useless after graduation. for example. a major in anthropology, what jobs are you qualified for? Any openings for anthropologists posted in the want ads?





perhaps go to a career counselor, There are standardized tests that determine the types of jobs or occupations that best match your interests and personality.





and dont' worry so much, you do not have to declare a major till your junior year in college, you can apply as a undecided major, and then take ';into to'; everything, thats my personal experience , I changed majors 5 times and finished with a Masters degree.





good luckWhat is the best positive advise regarding college selection,prep.,and/or college experience?
The best advice anyone has ever given me is about choosing a major. They told me to pick a field, not a career. The way it was drilled into my head was, for example, okay I am picking a major.. what job do I want? I know, I want to research evolution? So okay,I am going to major in biological anthropology and maybe minor in sociology or something, and I'm set. Only if in four years when I graduate the job market for researchers sucks or I don't want to research evolution anymore-- oh crap, I'm screwed!





Instead, I realized I am really interested in politics. So, for example, I major in political science. It is my intention to go to law school and be a lawyer, HOWEVER, if I can't afford law school or decide I don't want to work so many hours, I can be a political journalist, a lobbyist, a campaign manager, a political author, or any other thing and still be working with a subject matter I enjoy.





In short: Choose a SUBJECT you enjoy so you have more than one career option that you'll be happy with.

No comments:

Post a Comment