Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I need some advise on maling products from home?

I'm planning on starting my own small business, selling beauty products online from home. Does anyone have any tips or advise on how to mail the products safely? What things do I need to consider when it comes to shipping charges? I don't want to over-charge my customers w/ shipping fees. Which one is more effective, charging S%26amp;H fee base on weight or subtotal amount?I need some advise on maling products from home?
I have sold items on Ebay and have found that all postage is calculated on total weight (including postal packaging), and the size of the packaging before posting. You need to get information from postal services and they may even have special deals for you.


By the way, always allow an extra 4-5 days for delivery than what the postage companies tell you and mention this to your customers.( to allow for emergencies such as weather, industrial strikes, etc).I need some advise on maling products from home?
I did Avon from home and so does my niece. We do our shipping with the cheapest carrier of all...and that is USPS..the good ol'e post office. We've found that in the long term, we saved more. I had experience with UPS (United Parcel) and they were too rough with the merchandise and ended up costing me more money because the customers received some broken items. I mean, you can only package that stuff so tight. Fed Ex was way too high, and that newer one..in the yellow trucks...can't recall the name, was cost between Fed Ex and UPS, so I just stuck with the post office.





You can get a diet scale, and weigh your stuff after packaging when knowing that the post office charges per ounce, and they will give you a listing of costs or at least help you create a list. You can also use USPS on line, and they pick it up from your home and you don't have to leave at all. Just have the postage attached...with your labels ready (if pertaining). Try to find a happy medium on shipping charges unless it's a huge order; then I wouldn't let them know what the shipping will be until just before you plan on sending it. If you do not give people any discounts, then you're shipping small thing on a standard rate would be good.





Example, I also have a dollar store web site. When I placed my own order...the shipping amount didn't change...it's set at $3.95, unless there are heavy items. And it was shipped with Fed. EX. You may be able to work a deal with one of the carriers, but you would have to check with each one.

No comments:

Post a Comment