Wednesday, July 28, 2010

What would you advise before having a second baby?

Our daughter is 9.5 months old and still breastfeeding, so it's not that likely it'll happen soon, but we're trying for baby number 2. for those of you that have children with similar age gaps, what advice would you give?What would you advise before having a second baby?
don't be so sure that its not likely to happen soon. it happened to us the very first time we tried for our second one.


The best thing i could advise is to be prepared the best you can. Try to make sure you are done breastfeeding the first one before your belly starts to grow. Because it is going to be very difficult. Also, you need to get that baby used to eating other foods. And being less dependant on you.


by the time your 2nd comes along, the first one is going to be running around like crazy, playing with all kinds of toys and making a mess of her room, your going to be running after her half the time and teaching her ';NO';.. So make sure your house is fully childproofed, because you are going to have to focus on two children at once and its going to be distracting.


Have plenty of supplies stocked up for both children the first couple of months before that baby is born, that way you don't have to keep running back and forth to the store. you are going to be soooo busy and so tired. Get a double stroller if you can afford one. Graco makes some great ones that allow the car seat to fit in one end while the other child sits in the other.


And most importantly, keep taking your prenatals and folic acid. You need to be fully healthy again before you start to conceive and during the pregnancy (which i'm sure you already know :)What would you advise before having a second baby?
I'm with everyone else. I would wait a little longer. I know how it is. I have a 13 month old and the ';new baby'; smell has worn off. Everyday he is amazing me with all of the wonderful things he is learning to do and everyday it makes me sad that he is growing so fast. I get the urge to have another all of the time. I also think of how damn tired I am from chasing him around the house and working full time and I could not imagine being pregnant and tired and having to do all of that. Ideally, I would like him to be potty trained and out of the terrible twos before I bring home another baby. Then he will be at the mommy's little helper age.
Don't assume it's not going to happen straight away if you were hoping for a 2 year gap. I've got a 2 year gap and that's right for me.


Don't listen to everyone saying to wait another few years. Everyone's perfect gap is different. Some people want the baby stuff out of the way quickly and have them close together, others like to wait until no1 is more independent before going onto no2.


Anyway. My best advice would be to make sure that you give no1 at least half an hour of exclusive mummy time. Read a book with her or play a game, make her feel special while baby is fast asleep. It really works for me to keep jealousy and difficult behaviour at bay.
I would wait a little longer. Allow your fist child to have adequate time to bond with you and really get the one on one attention the he or she needs. My children are 3 years apart and even having child number 2 when my daughter was 3 was very difficult. Newborns require alot of time as you know and my daughter began to feel like she wasn't loved because unfortunately, we couldn't give her all our attention as we had done in the past, so she started acting out (tantrums, no longer going potty on her own, etc). Children are wonderful but don't rush into anything. Baby #2 will be just as sweet no matter if you conceive now or later.
dont have another baby before the first is potty trained. I never want to have kids THAT close in age. Changing 2 diapers at once, is pretty hectic.


My parents had children that were 3 years apart. That way the oldest child is old enough to understand that there is a new baby in the house, and can help out some when the baby comes. Otherwise there will be lots of jealousy to come, which may still be there, but it helps to have the child a little bit older than 2.
As long as you can handle it and have the money for another go for it!!





My parents has 5 kids under 5. And said they wouldn't have it any other way and nor would I, I'm the youngest of the five and I love that we are all so close in age because we get along really well and would always hang out together.





Our ages are 19, 21, 23, 25 and 25.
I have four kids all 2 years apart. ok there are the normal fights and arguments but that's a great learning experience on how to get along with different people.





But mostly they are all able to play together. If we go away, they always have a brother that is also a friend to play with. I think it's nice having them close in age.





Oh and about money.....if you wait till you have 'enough' ; you'll never have one!
The time after the birth of a 2nd child is one of the most stressful for a family. It's yet another split of the mothers limited time and attention, its more of a financial strain....so just make sure you're ready for it. My kids are all 3+ years apart so that gap sounds crazy to me but i know that my sister has a couple about 15 months apart...i know it was hell for the first year of two but then it was nice that they had each other close to play with. In my expeience..the longer spread was easier and the kids are still really close...but the timing is just a personal choice.
If you are trying for another so soon, best of luck, and I hope you have all the patience you need! I waited 3 years between my 1st 2, and 4 years between my 2nd and 3rd. I anticipate it being much easier having an older child to help out than having all being so close in age. Best of luck!!
my two are 5 years apart and all they do is fight! maybe they would be closer if they were similar in age. but on the other hand it was easier only having one baby and a 5 year old. i think no matter what age they are they will fight at least some so if you think the time is right go for it!
My advice will be to make sure you can financially take care of it before conceiving. The economy is getting so bad..the worst thing to do is to bring in another mouth to feed.
I have a 2 year old and a 7 month old. my advice to you is have a daily routine it makes it a lot more easier when you have organization.
I have a two year old and he takes up all of my time.


I definatly wouldn't have time to look after a younger child!


Good luck!
I would advise to wait at least 4 years. Seriously. My kids are 9 years apart and its WONDERFUL. Its like having a live-in nanny for free.
id wait a lil longer, leave a couple oof years gap between then, so like one child starts pre-school as the other is born,its easier this way else u will find it a struggle, good luck
I WOULD SUGGEST GIVING YOUR DAUGHTER A LITTLE MORE BABY TIME.............WAIT UNTIL SHE'S AROUND 2.
bubblewrap all your furniture :D
baby number 1 is gonna get jelous so you dont make him/her left out
Pray for a boy.
take care of them both!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment