Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Can anybody advise me of a good, friendly and English speaking area of France to travel to?

I want to take a long weekend break to France on my own, but do not have an amazing grasp of their language. Can you help me find the right place to travel? If you additionally have a good hotel etc in mind, it would be hugely appreciated.Can anybody advise me of a good, friendly and English speaking area of France to travel to?
I don't think you'll find any area in France which is English-speaking - it is a sovereign country with its own very proud linguistic and cultural traditions of course. That said in my experience younger people have a much better command of English than their parents and grand parents and you will find that in the hotel and catering sector in general English is widely used and understood. Don't worry - if you make a little effort in French and explain slowly in English - perhaps using body language and gestures - what you need you will be pleasantly surprised at how well French people respond.


For a weekend break Paris is well within reach but like any capital city it is perhaps not typical of the country as a whole. if travelling from the UK by Eurostar why not stop off in Lille?Can anybody advise me of a good, friendly and English speaking area of France to travel to?
Thanks for your help, its much appreciated

Report Abuse



are u for real expecting to find people in france that they will help u by talking in english???? wish that u wont need sth important they are never able to help noone in other language even when they go vacations they talk on french...good luck there
It has always been my experience that the larger the city the more likely one is to find English speakers. With that in mind, I would think that Paris would be your best bet. Having said that, I also found a lot of English speakers in Nice. The advantage of going to Nice is the beautiful sea there. I don't know if you can go swimming right now, but it is still a fabulous place. Good luck!
You'll get by without knowing French. But before you go, do try to learn and use the basics of bonjour, merci etc and smile. It's a polite and respectful thing to do, and you'll find the French will then make an effort to communicate with you. If you've only got a weekend why not spend it in Paris. There's so much to see there.

No comments:

Post a Comment