Sunday, August 22, 2010

Any advise for kennelling dogs which have never been before?

My dogs (cocker spaniels), aged 5 and 2 have never been kennelled. Does anyone have experience of kennelling dogs which have never been used to it from an early age? I have always had family/friends able to take care of them when I went on holiday (once a year). But this year I will not have that luxury. So I want to start trialing the dogs in kennels. Will they adjust alright?Any advise for kennelling dogs which have never been before?
I kenneled 2 of mine for the first time a few months ago, and I was out-of-my-mind apprehensive about it ... haha, turns out they had a great time!





A lot depends on the boarding facility, so check out as many as you can before you decide. Actually VISIT them and ask to be given a tour. If the owners don't willingly allow you to see all areas, including the outdoor runs and/or ';potty spots';, cross the kennel off your list.





Boarding facilities range from bare-bones cages to exclusive luxury ';pet hotels'; (and the prices reflect it!) but more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better care. A friendly, caring staff who will spend some time with your dogs and a clean facility are more important than a pedicure and massage.





If you prefer that your dogs be kept together in the same enclosure, be sure the kennel will accommodate that request. Some won't. A favorite toy, blanket, or dog bed will help your dogs feel more comfortable ... and although food is usually included in the cost of boarding, I would recommend taking your own dog food and bowls, and asking the staff to feed on the schedule your dogs follow at home.Any advise for kennelling dogs which have never been before?
If I can't take my dogs with me, I do not go on vacation. I have never kenneled my dogs, however my mother did once and they beat her dog so badly, it never recovered. I dog sit for free to people who have had horrific problems kenneling dogs. One of the dogs I watch has a sudden food aggression problem after being kenneled. He was a well trained dog, until the owners boarded him and now he has many issues, so we watch him from now on. I would rather cancel my plans, or take my dogs with me. There are many pet friendly hotels out there. You could try getting them used to a crate, but unless you trained your dogs to go potty on commands, they might have problems going potty.
A dog should be part of the family. How inconsiderate of you to go away ahnd leave the dogs behind shame on you. I bet if you had young children you would also leave them at home.


Joking by the way.


There was one a woman in Austraila that left her dog for a week what she did was put out 7 bowls of food and wrote Monday thru to Sunday on the bowls so the dog would know what one to eat.





Come on the puppy's. I bet old Woodhouse would have a fit if she read this.
They will be fine. I was so nervous the first time I boarded my dogs, but the staff has been great and now my dogs board there once or twice a month while we are at dog shows with our other dogs. We used to trek the whole gang with us, but now we don't have to :-) Get a recommendation from your vet as to which one you should use.
I got my min pin from a craigs list ad when she was 2 years old, she was an outdoors farm dog but the sweetest thing ever.





I hold a treat by the door and tap on the kenel and say 'Pico go house' She'll take the treat and walk in.





It progressed to me just telling her to 'go house' without the treat, she'll get up, go inside the kenel.





now she goes to the kenel when i put on my jacket and shoes. it takes a little time but reward them with a treat and make sure they know what to do
hey i own boarding kennels and the best thing to do is take the beds in with them and plenty of blankets and toys and maybe some of your clothes worn with your sent on them
i'm having the same problem myself ,i 'm dreading to leave my dog at the kennel
Make sure you choose a reputable place, maybe ask at your vets if they know a good kennel locally. Any decent kennels would agree to you coming to look around before you leave your dog with them. They will also have details on what vaccinations your dog should have before going there.


We went away for a long weekend last year and took our dog in with his bed and that was it. He loved it and they loved having him so I am totally OK with putting him there when we go away for longer this year.





One thing I would say is that there is a chance that your dogs will smell when they come out but this is only because they don' have the freedom that they are used to at home. if you are not confident bathing your dogs you may want to book them into the groomers a few days after you get back.


If you are near Gatwick airport in the UK (unlikely I know!) email me and I will give you the details of the kennel I use.

No comments:

Post a Comment