Monday, August 23, 2010

Can you advise me on my vegteble garden?

I am starting a box garden and want to know the best way to prepare it for the first planting. My husband says I need to fill the box with soil, cover the soil with plastic or some other weed reducing stuff, plant plants, cover plastic with mulch or something.





My question is how does this sound to you? I worry about the mulch - Please tell me what you all think and what the best soil would be and what else I can do to make this garden into a great garden. Thanks!!Can you advise me on my vegteble garden?
Use fertilized soil or add fertilizer to the soil....never cover with plastic...in the old days they covered the soil with newspaper to keep weeds under control, today they have a mesh-like fabric to cover the soil, cut X's and plant a seed in each or starter plants like tomatoes...mulch helps to keep the soil moist, water your garden everyday for the first 4 days for seeds to germinate.


Happy gardening!Can you advise me on my vegteble garden?
well depending on the size of the box. if you are buying the soil in bags then top soil is what you want mix with a little potting soil to add drainage. if its a closed box then you might want to add rocks to the bottom also or drainage. plastic or weed block is fine but i don't like it. you can mulch to keep the weeds down use a cedar or another type that retards bugs. no pine. whether your doing plants or seeds matters to the mulch if seeds you don't want to cover Them with th mulch. you will need fertilizer since the soil wont have everything you need in it. i like organic which are available for different types of plants. stay away from dehydrated cow manure and the like they took all the good stuff out. gardening can be a lot of fun but there is a lot to consider. feel free to contact me with more questions
First, make holes in your pot or box. Spread stones at the bottom, the stones will help irrigation. Cover the stones with good soil (soil which is mixed with some compost). Plant your seedlings. Spread some compost or mulch around the seedling (not next to it) and water. Give it time and water regularly and it will grow and you'll have your vegetable garden.


Because your box has holes, you will need to place a tray under it to catch the water, or place it out in the garden.
yes i have some gardening tips

No comments:

Post a Comment