Thursday, August 19, 2010

Is there a Doctor that can advise me about this condition that I have called intersistual cystitis?

I am suffering greatly from this disease of my bladder, none of the meds seem to help... Does anyone have any advice?Is there a Doctor that can advise me about this condition that I have called intersistual cystitis?
I have had interstitial cystitis, and I know how you feel! I found that diet was the number one thing that helped me. I had to be on a very strict diet for a year and a half, and if I ate tomatoes or vinegar by mistake, my bladder would burn. Here is a good table of different foods and how they may affect IC:





http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/diet.鈥?/a>





I also found Tums very helpful in alkalinizing the urine. I would take one or two when I ate a problem food, and that helped. I hear there is something new called Prelief that does something similar.





I would take Levsin for the bladder spasms. It was a small pill that would go under the tongue, and it worked very fast. Ditropan is a similar medicine, although it is a regular pill that you swallow.





As for medicines that actually treat the interstitial cystitis, there are some new ones these days, such as Elmiron. I don't have any experience with them, since I had IC many years ago, but it is nice that there are more options these days. You may want to see a doctor with special expertise in IC to find out about medicines or other treatments that you might not have tried yet. You could check with the Interstitial Cystitis Network to find an expert in your area:





http://www.ic-network.com/md/careprovide鈥?/a>





One last thing that you could do is take a look at some of the online forums for people with IC. You may pick up a lot of great tips from them about things that help or hurt IC. Here is one, but there may be others as well:





http://www.ic-network.com/forum/





Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment