Sunday, August 22, 2010

Any advise on meditating and slowing the mind? I am usually anxious and my thoughts race?

I have learned Yoga and I am good at the poses, but my former instructor had us meditate with it. I never was pleased with my feeble attempts to clear the mind. I just kept thinking like I always do. How do you do it?Any advise on meditating and slowing the mind? I am usually anxious and my thoughts race?
There are hundreds of forms of meditation. It boils down to picking the type of meditation that works best for you. Some people are great at visualizing. So they can meditate on being at a scenic area like the beach, the forest, an island, etc. Even some Buddhists use this technique by visualizing the Buddha or Buddhist deities.





Other people can use sound like mantras or affirmations. What mantras mostly do is to concentrate the mind on a sound so that the chattering of the mind stops or at least slows down. It is hard for your thoughts to be racing around when you have a mantra to recite repeatedly. Sacred songs in many traditions can be a form of meditation.





Other folks are more physical oriented. They can focus on their breath or follow their attention as it moves from one part of the body to another part. Relaxing parts of the body one by one is another variation.





This should give you a starting point. Experiment with these different basic forms of meditation. You can also invent your own variations until you find something that works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment