Monday, August 23, 2010

Can anyone advise the best way to get work experience in a primary school before applying for a PGCE?

I'd like to change careers into primary school teaching but understand that it's virtually impossible to secure a place on a PGCE course without having prior work experience in a primary school. Can anyone tell me the best way to get this experience? Should I apply directly to the schools for work as a classroom assistant?Can anyone advise the best way to get work experience in a primary school before applying for a PGCE?
Just go to the local schools or write to them - you will probably not get paid work as a Teaching Assistant unless they have a vacancy but at least you will be able to see what its all about! You only need to have knowledge and experience from a short period.


Incidentally, I would suggest that you speak to a teacher to find out about all the planning (long, medium, short term), monitoring, assessments, class and lesson preparation, marking, evaluations, inset, after school clubs etc. - all in addition to the very satisfying job of actually teaching the children! Many people don't realise what a heavy workload teachers have in addition to interacting with children. It certainly isn't 8.30 - 4.00, five days a week!Can anyone advise the best way to get work experience in a primary school before applying for a PGCE?
i volunteered at my local school doing anything asked of me you will need to be police checked. simply go and offer your services.
if you are under 25 years of age, try doing an experience in one of the EU projects.





Take a look at http://ec.europa.eu/youth/program/sos/in鈥?/a>





It is vouluntary work for youths from Europe. but it is great. I am currently doing it now.
All you need to do is phone up the schools and ask for voluntary work as a classroom assistant.Most schools will not refuse as the extra help is always welcome.At my school we rely heavily on voluntary support due to lack of funding.


You will not always be working with children in the classroom though,there are many other jobs you will have to do such as photocopying,marking homework,laminating,filing,


displays etc.


Ensure that you work with all age groups from the Nursery and Foundation Stage,right up to Year 6 so that it will help you to decide whether you want to work as a Foundation Stage teacher or in KS1 or KS2.


Good Luck,I hope it all works out for you.
It depends very much on the area you are in, but I have just completed my PGCE and I contacted the primary schools directly myself, but I did know of people who had problems due to insurance.


Try phoning around some schools first and have a chat with them. Good luck with it.
All primary schools are desperate for people to go in and listen to readers, photocopy, work with groups, do some Art etc. I know my school is.


Just give them a ring and offer your services. It might be better to be CRB cleared although some schools do pay for this although you will need CRB clearance for you pgce.


PS you only actually need to have a couple of weeks experience

No comments:

Post a Comment