Sunday, August 22, 2010

I had renters who burned down my home, my insurance company is reviewing the case any advise?

I have a home owners insurance policy and assumed that was enough coverage, the renters had renters insurance when they rented from me but did not keep up their payments. The insurance company said they need to review my claim because they are questioning whether my policy should cover this because I did not inform them of renters. My agent knew I was renting the property. I did not know that I was required to have a bigger policy than I already have. Isn't home owners coverage supposed to protect the home owner?I had renters who burned down my home, my insurance company is reviewing the case any advise?
Home insurance covers lots of different things. I don't understand all the fine print of my policy, but my homeowners insurance agent is always helpful. Try calling your agent or a agent in your city. http://www.easyhomeinsuranceguide.com They should be able to help you.I had renters who burned down my home, my insurance company is reviewing the case any advise?
All you can do is follow up with your adjuster and your agent.





We don't have anywhere near enough information to really tell you anything.





But any total fire with a coverage question is going to be reviewed. Reviewing it does not mean they are going to deny it - just that they are going to look into it. Sometimes you review a coverage question and pay the claim - Sometimes you review a coverage question and determine that coverage is not applicable.
Did you notify your insurer that the house was no longer owner occupied? One of the premises behind HOMEOWNERS, is that the owner lives there.





You are required to have a completely different policy, if you don't live there, it isn't your HOME, it's your RENTAL property.





I seriously expect the insurance company to deny your claim, but at least you can sue your agent, if you can prove that he knew it was a rental, and you didn't live there.
mbrcatz hit it right on the nail. You had incorrect insurance coverage. When you rent premises, you need a business owner's policy for such coverage. As well, you CAN sue your agent (hopefully, he has E%26amp;O coverage) for your loss if your insurer refuses. However, be prepared to prove that the agent knew you were renting the property. That could be tough, if nothing is in writing.





And the next time you decide to play landlord, insist that your tenants send you regular proof of coverage in the form of an insurance certificate.





Good luck.
well this should be interesting for you. You weren't really a homeowner, you were a landlord. Likely your premiums would have been higher due to the increased risk of others living in your rented home. this is the stuff insurance companies love...anyway to screw someone over.
You could be in big trouble - they may have grounds to deny your claim. You ABSOLUTELY have to alter your insurance coverage when you change a property from owner-occupied to a rental.
  • man makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment